Recipe by: Kristin M. MacDonald, MS, RD, LDN
Owner, Healthy Appetites Nutrition Counseling, L.L.
Whether you need a quick breakfast or grab 'n' go snack, just a little time is all that is needed to prep these Veggie Egg Cups. They are quick to throw together and a healthy, delicious option any time of day!
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup skim milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package baby portabella mushrooms, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus a little extra for greasing muffin tin
- 1 ½ cup broccoli florets, cup into small pieces
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced
- ½ cup cheese of choice, shredded
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper until well scrambled. Set aside.
- Sauté diced mushrooms in butter until softened slightly. Divide mushrooms evenly between twelve greased muffin tins.
- Place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe dish with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover dish with plastic wrap and microwave for 1 ½ minutes, until just slightly cooked. Be careful when removing plastic wrap, as steam will be hot. Allow broccoli to cool slightly. Remove broccoli from water and divide evenly between the twelve muffin tins.
- Divide diced pepper evenly between the twelve muffin tins.
- Divide egg mixture evenly between the twelve muffin tins, covering the vegetables. Top each egg cup with a sprinkling of shredded cheese.
- Bake the egg cups at 350 Fahrenheit for 12 minutes, until egg cups have puffed slightly and cheese is melted.