Recipe by: Kristin M. MacDonald, MS, RD, LDN
Owner, Healthy Appetites Nutrition Counseling, L.L.C.
These chewy cookies are a great options for those with dietary restrictions due to food allergies. You can use sunflower butter, which is free from many allergens. Also, the cookies are flourless and gluten free!
- 1 cup sunflower seed butter (a peanut butter alternative)
- ¾ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients, except the chocolate chips, in a mixing bowl on low speed. Once the other ingredients are combined, add the chocolate chips and mix further.
- The dough will be sticky and runny. Place the mixing bowl with the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 ℉.
- Form the dough into balls by rolling them in your hands and place these about 1 to 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Once again, dough will be runny and may have a tendency to fall apart. Use a little pressure to keep the balls together.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for about 2 minutes. Then, carefully remove cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling.