Owner, Healthy Appetites Nutrition Counseling, L.L.C.
Are you excited to see that a Sprout’s Farmers Market store is coming to Fayetteville in January 2018? I know I am! Be sure to check out their website, www.sprouts.com, for upcoming details.
With a unique array of natural and organic products, Sprouts Farmers Market makes healthy living easy and affordable. You can search their shelves and website for conveniently labeled organic, non-GMO, gluten-free, raw food, grass-fed, paleo, vegan and dairy-free products to suit your individual needs and preferences. This store also carries a wide variety of Sprouts brand products. I was recently fortunate enough to sample a box of products from the store and was impressed across the board.
Sprout’s Farmers Market Organic Marinara was one of the tastiest products that I tried. This pasta sauce has a simple ingredient list including organic and non-GMO tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, onions, and spices. It is just chunky enough to add a little texture to classic Italian dishes, yet still pleasing to picky eaters. Try it mixed with sautéed fresh veggies and serve over pasta for a fresh, delicious and nutritious plant-based dish! Use it as a replacement for your current sauce on homemade pizzas and in baked dishes like ziti or lasagna.
Nutritionally this pasta sauce receives an “A”. Most pasta sauces contain some added sugar and Sprout’s Farmers Market Organic Marinara is no exception. Sugar brings out the flavor of tomato-based pasta sauces, but look for products that use this ingredient sparingly. Compared to many other products on the market, Sprout’s Farmers Market Organic Marinara is lower in overall sugar, 6 grams per ½ cup serving with only 2 grams of this from added sugars. This marinara sauce is also fairly low in calories, 70 calories per ½ cup, and includes 2 grams of healthy fiber per serving.
I hope you have the chance to enjoy Sprout’s Farmers Market Organic Marinara, and their many Sprout’s brand and other products, once the store opens in 2018!
Check out my Cauliflower Crust Pizza recipe featuring Sprout’s Farmers Market Organic Marinara this month.You will be amazed by this delicious pizza! Cauliflower acts a great base for Italian cheese, spices and Sprout’s Farmers Market Organic Marinara. I dare you to serve it to even your pickiest eater - mine loves it!
1 large head of cauliflower
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese (or mozzarella cheese if you prefer)
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
¼ teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup to 1 cup Sprout’s Farmers Market Organic Marinara
other toppings of choice
1) Preheat Oven to 425 ℉ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) Cut cauliflower into florets and pulse in batches in a food processor. You should end up with about 3 cups of a fine cauliflower “rice.”
*Note: You can also purchase cauliflower “rice” already prepared in the produce section of many grocery stores. I have only tried this recipe with fresh cauliflower and do not recommend using frozen.
3) Place cauliflower in a microwave-safe dish and cover - microwave on high for about 6 minutes. Transfer cauliflower to a large, thin dish towel and allow to cool.
4) Once the cauliflower is cool enough to handle squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the cauliflower - the overall volume will decrease significantly.
5) Transfer cauliflower to a mixing bowl and add the eggs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt, garlic powder and ½ cup of the Italian blend cheese. Mix to combine well.
6) Transfer cauliflower to the prepared baking sheet. Using fingertips, spread the cauliflower out into a disc shape, making it as thin as possible. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
7) Spread the crust with Sprout’s Farmers Market Organic Marinara, adjusting amount to your preference. Top with remaining Italian blend cheese and other toppings of choice. Bake for another 10 minutes, until cheese begins to melt.