By Kristin M. MacDonald, MS, RD, LDN
Owner, Healthy Appetites Nutrition Counseling, L.L.C.
This tasty veggie side dish is festive enough to grace your holiday dinner table, yet simple enough to make an appearance any night of the week! Family friendly and colorful, it is sure to please even picky eaters.
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 small bag baby carrots
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded cheese (my family enjoys cheddar)
- Place vegetables in a large pot. Bring water to boil in a kettle. Poor boiling water over vegetables. Bring pot of water with vegetables back to a boil and allow to simmer for about 2 minutes, until vegetables are just slightly tender.
- Drain vegetables and transfer to a large casserole dish.
- In a small saute pan melt butter over low heat. Once butter is fully melted add breadcrumbs. Stir breadcrumbs constantly until all butter is absorbed and breadcrumbs are golden brown in color. Remove from heat immediately.
- Sprinkle cheese and breadcrumbs evenly over the top of the vegetables.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for approximately 20 50 25 minutes.